The Scott Family

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Patio garden

Last Mothers day I got four pots to plant vegetables on our patio. They didn't do so hot! The summer started late and we also didn't know what we were doing! This year I did a little more research and decided to give it another shot, I am so pleased with the results so far!
We planted Roma tomatoes, Patio tomatoes, Cucumbers, jalapenos, and cilantro. They are growing like crazy and I think a big part of it is the water tray I built to put under them.

{Gabi was so much help! She broke one of the cucumber plants right after planting it!}
This is the progression of the tray, I built a frame out of 2x2's and brackets, then layered thick plastic and stapled it to the frame. The duct tape was to keep the seams down so the water wouldn't leak. I came up with it all by myself and built it while Gio was working! He was pretty proud of my mad skills!
There were multiple reasons for building it, the main reason was the water was draining strait out of the pots and the plants weren't getting enough water. The second reason is our poor neighbors didn't like that the water would drain onto their deck, i don't blame them! I felt bad! So far the tray, although a little ghetto is serving its purpose! no more leaks and the plants are getting plenty of water!
These are some before and after pictures of how much they have grown in just 3 weeks! They are even bigger now the tomatoes are growing above the cages and the cucumber plants are going up the trellis and back down!
We are producing fruit now too! After just 5 weeks! I'm so excited! Everything is doing great, but  the cilantro plant is out of control and its a little different growing herbs, that's the one that i care least about though so I'm OK with it!
I cant wait to start eating it! there is nothing better than fresh veggies from the garden!

0 comments: