GABRIELLA SCOTT
BORN MARCH 16, 2010
7LBS 3OZ 19 1/2 INCHES LONG
My sweet baby girl was born 11 days ago! I can't believe it, I went into labor on monday night around 11pm my contractions started out about 20 mins apart and by 2am they were about 2 mins apart. I was really worried about going to the hospital for fear they would tell me I wasnt ready and them sending me home so we waited till about 3am when I couldnt handle it anymore! When I arrived I was about 4cm and my contractions were about a minute apart, I really wanted the epidural at that point! Mainly so I could breath again! Once the drugs kicked in it was smooth sailing it slowed down my contractions but I didnt feel a thing so I didnt care! I was able to take a nap and relax until it was time to push. i pushed for about 45 mins and my precious baby girl was here. I remember her faint little cry and her bright purple body and Brittany telling me that she was cuter than she ever thought possible! I was happy! Gabi wasnt breathing well so they told me they were going to take her to the NICU to clear her lungs and they were bring her back down when they were done. I wasnt worried at all. I knew things like that were fairly common and that she was in good hands. They wheeled me up to the NICU before I was moved into my new room and Gio was sitting with her they whole time. He is such a good daddy!
Gabi started out with some medication for her lungs and oxygen. After hours of no change they decided she needed to be put on a ventilator. He lungs were much sicker than they ever thought. I was in my room and Gio had been upstairs with the baby for hours. Around 5pm Gio walked in with a nurse and he looked like he had seen a ghost. My heart sank and I knew that something was wrong. Gio didnt say a word, The doctor started talking and it is all a blurr. I know she said that Gabi was very sick and they were looking at all kinds of things to figure out what was wrong. She mentioned that they would test her for Down Syndrome because she had some physical signs of it and that could be an explantion to why her lungs were so sick. I felt like puking and I was hoping that it was all a bad dream that I would wake up with my healthy baby and we would be a happy family. I could not comprehend having such a sick baby after I had the easiest pregnancy and delivery. It didnt make any sense. They told me I could go up and see the baby (which at the time she had no name) I really didnt want to but i did any way because I am her mom and she needed me no matter how I felt.
When I saw Gabi she was full of tubes and IVs and machines all around her. I thought that she was one of the healthier babies up there because she was full term and big compared to most of the other babies in the NICU. The doctor told us right away that Gabi was very very sick. They said she was by far the sickest baby in the NICU. I really didnt understand how any of this could have happened she was healthy my entire pregnancy, how could this happen? I could only look at her, i couldnt touch her or talk to her. I think partly because I didnt want to loose it with my emotions, and the other part of me didnt want to get attached. If something were to happen I was putting up my wall. They next day we found out her lung had colapesed in the night and that she was still very critical. They said that if things continued to get worse they were going to life flight her to Primary Childrens. I really didnt want that to happen. I knew that ment she was worse than I wanted her to be and I felt like the most helpless person in the world. When we saw her the next day she was washed up with her hair done and a Green bow in her hair for st. patricks day. I was hoping for the luck of the irish was on my side that day.
Gabi looked so cute but it was also very noticable that she was getting fatter and fatter from all the fluids they were pumping into her. She was swelling alot and she looked very uncomfortable. Throughout the day is was very up and down. One minute they had her on 100% oxygen the next it was at 60% when we got a little bit of good news it was shut down again. It was a very rollor coaster kind of day that messes with your emotions like nothing I have ever felt before. At 4 am the next morning the Doctor called me and told me that they were going to life flight her. They had run out of options and she needed to have the extra care at Primarys. Gio I and decided to go and say our goodbyes,(even though I really didnt want to see her like that, I didnt want that to be the last image in my head) Gio decided to drive up to the hospital and be with Gabi. I was supposed to be discharged that day so I called my parents and they came to take me up to primarys. As soon as Gabi got there they knew that she needed to be put on ECMO which is a machine that takes her blood out of her body and oxygentates it and pumps it back in. This would allow her lungs to rest and heal and also get some of the fluid off her that was putting pressure on her heart, lungs and brain. The machine was very intimadating and Gabi looked miserable.
We don't know the exact weight, But Gabi had at least 2lbs of fluid on her. She couldnt bend her fingers or toes and her diapers wouldnt fit. She was also very very pale. It was hard to see her that way.
This is all the machines she was hooked up to. Im really glad that the doctors and Nurses now how that all works because she had so many tubes and cords and drugs going in her that I couldnt keep it all strait. Once Gabi was put on ECMO she stablized very quickly. She was about the same for about 4 days but we never heard that she had gotten worse so we felt very good about that. They assured us she would get better it would just take time. Once she was off the machine and her lungs were getting better then she had to be weened off the pain meds. This can be the hardest part, She is on morphine, versed, and methadone all very addictive. She will have to go through a withdrawel process that can take weeks sometimes. Gabi was on ECMO for 5 days. She did very well.
The red tubes are part of the ECMO machine. The canulas go in her neck and down her vein above her heart in two places one takes the blood out the other puts it back in... yes they are as big as they look, and yes the red is her blood not a red tube. SCARY!
They day they took her off we also got the chromosone test back confirming that she has Down Syndrome. I had been praying and praying for her to get well and when we found out about the downs it was a barrel of mixed emotions. I couldn't be mad because it explained why her lungs were so sick and I know that it is God's will that she is here. She has blessed so many lives already and I know that she has a special plan for all of us. Every one says that no one could handle this better than me and Gio. I'm not sure if i feel that way but I will do my best! I love her so much and it is overwleming knowing that I was blessed with this perfect baby in every way. She has changed our lives and she doesnt even know it yet. She has brought so many people together, so many people have prayed for her and been touched by her and they havent even met her. I know that the impact that she will have on people will be extrodinary and as her parents Gio and I will be forever greatful to have been chosen to raise such a special girl!
Finding out about the Downs has been an adjustment but the support of all our family and friends has been amazing. Everyone is so excited to have her in there lives and I have been told that she is now the "Favorite!" She can have a normal life and we will treat her as such, she can do anything she wants to do and we will make sure that she is given the oppurtunities that any other kid would have. I can't dwell on the what if's we will take things a day at a time. I really don't know how raising Gabi will be different from raising any other child because she is my first so this is a learning process anyway~ Gabi conitues to progress each day. Her swelling is almost all gone so she looks little again! and she is getting closer and closer to be taken off the vent. She hasn't had to be sedated as much and they took her off the paralyzer so she can move, The first toe flinches were so great to see and now she yawns and stretches and kicks! she even tries to cry even though no sound comes out because of the tubes in her throat, but its still adorable! I was able to wash her hair the other day and she opened her eyes up and looked around! you could tell it felt so nice to have her head rubbed and lifted for a minute. Laying in one spot for 10 days has to be uncomfortable.
She is the CUTEST thing Ive ever seen!
Gabi Loves to suck on her tubes in her mouth and stick her tongue out! She gets all foamy at the mouth but its so cute!
This is the first time we really saw Gabi awake and moving around! It is soo good to see~
Gabriella means God is my stregnth, I didnt realize that until after we found out about the Downs. I remembered that I liked the meaning so at lunch that day I looked it up. I immediatly broke into tears. Her name is perfect and everything that I feel. So many things have fallen into place, so many prayers have been answered, and so many people have showed so much love and support that I know God is watching over us, He is my stregth and he has blessed me with an amazing Daughter. He has also blessed me with an amazing family and friends, and especially husband~ I could not do this without any of you. Gio is the best daddy already and I know that we can get through anything together. Gabi will always be a constant reminder of love in our home, She makes me want to be better spiritually, emotionally, and physically. She is a perfect daughter of god and I will never live up to her perfection but she makes me want to do the very best I can. She is heaven on earth and I have the privledge to be her Mother and have her with me forever~ That is the best gift I have ever recieved! I love my Little Miss Gabi Girl!
August 2012
13 years ago





16 comments:
I cant imagine the flood of emotions you feel daily. I cant explain the love and emotions that I feel reading this. We are not physically there but Gabi has definatly affected our lives. She is so perfect. She is so lucky to have you both as parents and youa are blessed to have her as a daughter. It is no coincidence. Gods hand is in all things and she was chosen to be your daughter long before we came to earth. We love you and pray for you daily.
Ryan
I ditto every word Ryan said! Our entire family has been changed by Gabi's birth. We will all be better people for having her in our lives and we look forward to sharing your journey with one of God's most precious children. We love you and can't wait to show Gabi our love as well.
Hey Sherron! This is vandi: ) Gabi's story is incredible. She's is such a precious baby girl. I can't imagine all you and gio have been going through. All those emotions! I've been praying for you all and hoping everything would be okay. I'm so glad things are looking up. My friend Jeana had a little girl with downs this year too and struggled with being in the nicu and all of the emotions that went a long with it all. She actually went to Snow too. I'll give you her blog address. feistykaelyn.blogspot.com
She's found a lot of support from other moms of children with downs. Anyway, Gabi is soo beautiful! I love all her dark hair. She really is going to touch so many lives: )
Sherron, I just love you! You are so strong. I have been praying for you guys and will continue to do so. I look forward to seeing Gabi grow and develop!
What a perfect name for a perfect little girl! Sherron she is a beauty, its so funny cause i havent even meet her and i love her so much already :) please let us know if there is anything we can do. We love you guys and are so glad to hear that she is doing better. All our love...the Durretts
Hi, First I just want to say, CONGRATULATIONS!!! Your daughter is beautiful and you have done an amazing job welcoming her to this earth!
I'm BreAnn's cousin and have a son with Down Syndrome as well. I can relate to parts of you story and other not so much. I know this is strange to say, but I am so excited for you! Reading this post I can already see the Tender Mercies and know that the Lord has great things in store for Gabriella. You will be surprised at the confidence you will gain in dealing with the scary, it will always be scary, but you'll get better at it. Peace will also come,along with knowledge, and faith. We've learned so much from our little Porter. Our lives have been changed so much for the better. You're right raising Gabriella will be like raising any other kid (just a little extra) and she'll be able to do so many, many things!
I have to agree that Kaelyn's blog will probably be a comfort. She is such a fighter and it's obvious Gabi is too!
I know we've never meet, but we're praying for you all! If you need to talk, support, or have any questions please feel free to contact me. Our blog is gelter.blogspot.com, breezy can also get in touch with me.
Again, CONGRATS, she is beautiful all that long black hair, her cute round face, her little nose, and such pretty eyes! She is lovely!
sherron, she is absolutely beautiful! i was so touched by her story i cried most of the way through :) you have amazing strength, and i think as blessed as you are to heave her she is equally blessed to have the two of you.
What a beautiful story. I feel the love and tenderness you have for your sweet Gabi. What an amazing ride you have been on and will continue to be on. I am grateful for your story and for the way it is changing my life. I feel so touched by Gabi and the fighter she is. I am glad you have been so honest with your emotions as I think it paints a picture that most of us can't imagine living. You and Gio were chosen for a reason and I think it is obvious why you are her parents. Love you lots and can't wait to meet your beautiful daughter. Heather Ericson
she's so sweet, and special! I can't wait to meet her when I come to Utah one of these days. I am more than happy that she is getting better and better, and you are getting closer to being able to hold her and cuddle her. She is adorable! And Gio is such a sweet dad!
I can't imagine the emotions you two have been through. I am grateful that you have been able to endure them with so much strength and such a good attitude.
Love ya, still praying for you and thinking of you. Glad things are looking up!
I love that you have posted her story it was so touching to read I was in my office at work in tears reading just thinking how strong you both are I would have been a mess and I am sure you have felt like a mess at times since she was born but it just seems you both have held it together so well and she is beautiful!!!! I would love to see her and you guys. Just a side note of good news JR and I were endowed on March 6th and we are getting sealed on April 10th if you have the time we would love for you two to come. Well keep posting I love to know how she is doing and take care of yourself hope you are feeling well too.
What a beautiful little girl, all of that hair is so adorable! What an emotional rollercoaster, and to still see you so positive is just one more reason of proof God is watching out for you and little Gabi. Please keep the blog updated as she continues to progress! Our prayers are with you, but I know you will be the best mom ever! Take care of yourself!
Hi - you have absolutely no clue who I am. I was Selena's roommate in college. I read Selena's blog and started crying. 4 years ago today my life was totally changed like yours was. I have twins and one was born with Down syndrome. I just want to congratulate you two. My boys are my life and I love them all to pieces. The Down syndrome was and is an adjustment. I still have days where it's hard to accept it but all in all, I wouldn't change my boys for the world. None of them. Good luck. Enjoy her. The baby stage goes by way to quickly so love her to pieces. Again, Congrats!
Thanks so much for sharing Gabi's story. She is a doll. I know you two will be great parents. I'll keep you guys in my prayers!
Sherron, I just started reading your post today, I didn't realize you had had your baby! Gosh what a great post, it made me cry! You are amazing, and I can tell you're already a great mother, what a lucky little girl to have you! I wish you and your new little family the best, you are such an inspiration to me!! And ps. She is BEAUTIFUL!!!!
Sherron and Gio,
Gabi is so amazing! She is so beautiful. Her story is very touching! You are such wonderful people and we know without a doubt you were chosen to be her parents. What a gift! We love you guys so much and are thinking of you! We can not wait to meet her and watch her grow!
By the way, this is Stephanie & Daren Jepson:)
Post a Comment