The Scott Family

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Friday, December 23, 2011

Roseola, Ear tubes, an Adenoids


Winter has been a bit rough this year. Gabi has been sick a few times with colds and ear problems. In November we took her in to have her ears checked and make sure that the tubes were still functioning properly. She didn't have infection but her right tube was clogged and not working properly. The Dr said that it wasn't infected and seemed to be OK as long as it didn't get infected . He had me use antibiotics for a week to see if that opened them up and wanted me to come back in another 2 weeks to have them checked. I paid $100 for ear drops, got them home and realized that it was the same ear drops he gave me from her surgery and I still had half a bottle... not very happy that I just wasted $100 on something I already had! When we checked again they were still clogged and they left the decision up to us on replacing them. They also wanted to take the adenoids as well to help with the infection and breathing issues she seems to have while she sleeps. I was really torn on what to do because I didn't want to do it if she didn't need it, but i also didn't want to push my luck and wait till after the first of the year and have to pay my insurance deductible again! We decided to think about it and I told them I would call them if with my decision.
 A few days later I picked Gabi up from her grandmas and she seemed really lethargic and feverish. When we got home she didn't seem like she felt good at all. She felt extremely hot but the thermometer never read over 99, Gabi has the smallest little ears openings and I think that it misreads a lot of the time. the next day she didn't seem much better had a hard time sleeping and super fussy. We put her in bed with us and she was more wiggly than usual and kept going in the fetal position like she was in pain. We had planed on taking her to the Instacare the next morning to make sure she was OK but i started to feel guilty. What if she was really hurting and my selfishness of money was getting in the way. I really hate going to the Dr when she is sick because its so frustrating to go through all the trouble to get there and then they send you home with nothing. Around 5am and no sleep we decided to take her into the ER.
Gabi couldn't Get comfortable so she used Dad as a Pillow!

When we got to the ER she still had a small fever and she was tested for a UTI. I had noticed the rash on her cheeks but she has sensitive skin and seems to always dry out on her cheeks when she is sick. When they put the catheter in for the UTI I noticed her little bum had the same red rash but it looked blistered. nothing like what I have seen before and so as I looked her over again it was starting on her legs and arms too. I was concerned thought it was maybe due to the high fever and mentioned it to the DR when he came back. He only glanced at it and said that it was eczema and that it would go away with some heavy cream and the diaper rash just needed cream as well. We left the ER with no answers other than her ears looked a little red and may be infected (but he couldn't tell) and that she didn't have a UTI so just give her Tylenol if she looks like she needs it. I was furious!


Gabi would only sleep in my arms and she was really irritable moving all over like she was super uncomfortable.

As the day went on her rash got worse and worse, The pictures don't do it justice. Her poor little face and Bum were the worst. I have a bum picture but thought it would be inappropriate to post it online! ;) She didn't act like the rash bothered her though and never cried when i changed her but it looked awful.


Her skin was so bumpy. it had flat little blister like bumps everywhere and it was super dry and rough, she usually has the softest skin and it took a few weeks for it to go back to normal.

After researching her symptoms online the closest thing to her symptoms was a virus called Roseola. it was almost an exact description of what she has and of course the treatment was to wait it out and let it heal itself! I hate that answer! she did start to clear up a few days later and because the ER Dr said that she had a possible ear infection I called the next day and scheduled her ear tube replacement and adenoidectomy she had surgery on Dec 20th. we went in super early and things went smoothly. She of course was the life of the O.R. giving kisses to all the Dr's and Nurses!

Kissing Dad Goodbye before surgery! I love this picture!


Surgery went great! Both tubes were slightly blocked and she has a polyp in her left ear that they had to remove. I was a little worried about recovery this time since she also had her adenoids removed but it didn't seem to bother her at all. The first time she had surgery she screamed bloody murder when they brought her
back (a symptom from the anesthesia) this time she was so out of it she didn't shed a tear! she was a trooper!
She was super sleepy though! We couldn't leave until she ate or drank  something and kept in down but we couldn't keep her awake!

once i changed her out of her hospital gown she started to wake up a bit more and ate a little bit. She was drinking her water fine too but saw my Diet Coke and it was all over from there she took it from me and wouldn't give it back! She loves Soda and knows when we have it even if we hide it from her she knows!

I usually don't let her drink it but i really wanted to leave and i figured it was a drink right! better than nothing! That was her treat for having surgery!
{don't you love her owl beanie! she looks like a pilot!}

Recovery went great she slept off the anesthesia and was back to her destructive self! I didn't even have to give her pain meds! She is such a good baby! Lets hope that 2012 is better in the medical bill department!

0 comments: